Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pioneer Woman Wanna Be

So, yesterday I got in a very domestic mood and decided to try my hand at a Pioneer Woman style blog. Most of my friends know that I love to cook, but taking pictures along the way proved to be a little bit challenging (i'm a messy cook!)
I decided to make up a new recipe for a homemade tomato soup. I took the idea from my new Pioneer Woman cookbook, but for those of you who know me well, you also know that I never follow a recipe. I like to change things up with ingredients that I know my family will like. So, here it goes...
1 medium white onion
1 stick butter
6 Tbsp sugar
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can chicken stock
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 Tbsp minced garlic

I started by chopping the onion. After God, Chad, and my kids, my Rachel Ray knife is the love of my life. I couldn't do life without it! We have a date every night around 5:00... chop, chop chop!



Then I melt 3/4 stick of butter in the bottom of my soup pot.

I add the onions to the bottom of the pot and cook until they are translucent.


I add 2 cans of diced tomatoes. Here is another love of my life. Although, it's much farther down the list than my knife. This is my Pampered Chef spoon. She's great for stirring soup!

Then, I gradually add one can of chicken broth. Ok, right here I'll go ahead and share my thoughts on "off brands." There are some things in life where you can buy the "off brand." Chicken broth (and any canned things for that matter) is one of those things where, in my opinion, you can save a little cash and get the "off brand." Toilet paper, electronics, and coffee are not!! Can I get an amen!?

Then I added 6 Tbsp of sugar. I added a little more than that and it ended up a little too sweet for my liking.


As it begins to simmer, I add one bouillon cube.


Here is my pepper. Up until a couple of years ago, I had always used regular pepper from a shaker. Then I was introduced to fresh ground pepper, and wow... there is a big difference! It has much more pop!



Here I add the pepper to taste. Chad loves black pepper so I use it liberally.


Then I add 2 cups of heavy cream. Don't look at me like that. I never said this was a low-fat soup!

Then I go back to my faithful wood cutting board and Rachel (my knife) and chop the fresh parsley. The Pioneer Woman puts basil in her soup, but my grocery store was out of fresh basil and I'm not a big fan of dried basil leaves so I just left it out.

Here I added the garlic. We love garlic at our house so I almost always have it on hand.


Then I add a little salt to taste.


I go ahead and add a little more pepper. Did I mention Chad likes pepper?


When I got to this point I decided it needed a little meat so I added some turkey bacon. I haven't tried it but I was also thinking chicken and artichoke hearts would be very yummy too!



Here's a little tip I picked up from Rachel Ray.... throw your trash in a big bowl as you go and then you don't have to keep walking back and forth to the trash can. You can just make one trip at the end.


So, here's the finished product. It turned out really good. Feel free to steal this recipe, or if it doesn't tickle your fancy feel free to throw it out. My thoughts on Pioneer Woman style cooking?? I love the cooking part, but I hate the stopping and taking pictures part. I think I'll just stick with the cooking...

5 comments:

Chandy said...

I'm going to make this some night this week.... we'll see if it beats mom's corn chowder.

Chandy

Anonymous said...

That looks super yummy. Or YUM-O as RR would say. We are having a cold, rainy week and that would be perfect for warming up.

memykidsteacher said...

Yum-o. Can you make me a low-sodium version for your favorite uncle?

Sounds amazing ... except for the sugar. One of my tru-isms is that tomato and sugah should never meet. But you know I'm a savory girl. (and eat plenty of sugar elsewhere!).

Love it. You go girl. Keep cooking and we'll call you PW South.

The pictures were great. I'll have Lydia look this over and see it she wants to make it!

Agreed on the canned good off-brands ... and I am much happier when I have a basil plant growing in the house or outside near the rosemary!

Love you!

memykidsteacher said...

oh dude. sorry. It's me ... "memykidsteacher" is dormant. RIP.

dawn

~angie said...

oh yum! I love me some cream and tomatoes! Her cajun chkn pasta is SUPER yummy and easy!